Smart Futures is proud to have partnered with the United Way’s Be One in a Million campaign.
Be 1 in a Million is United Way of Allegheny County’s challenge to improve the educational success of our region’s students by:
- Recruiting and equipping at least 4,000 new Readers, Tutors and Mentors in the next 3 years
- Engaging an ‘Education Champion’ for every student in Allegheny County
- Providing targeted support for 30 struggling schools within Pittsburgh Public Schools and Allegheny County
Volunteers can make the difference in schools that succeed. When volunteers with United Way of Dane County (Madison, Wisconsin) got involved in their schools, the racial achievement gap for third grade reading went from 21 percent to 2 percent, and third grade reading proficiency improved for all students. We can make that kind of difference in Allegheny County, as we join United Way’s movement to recruit 1,000,000 readers, tutors and mentors nationwide.
Together, we can make a difference in our region’s future, one student at a time. And along the way, employees and businesses benefit as well. Think about this:
- Youth with mentors get better grades and are 86% more likely to go to college, while being less likely to get involved with drugs.
- Employees who volunteer through their workplace feel positive about their employer, co-workers and their own physical and emotional health.
- Corporate citizenship enhances a company’s reputation and image, is valued by customers, and helps to recruit and retain employees. By investing in students today, companies build a better work force for tomorrow.
It takes 12 years to create a graduate … or a dropout! You can be the difference as a volunteer, and you can do it in less time than you think. Be 1 in a Million and change a student’s life forever.
And now all PA eMentors are encouraged to take the Be One in a Million Pledge at: www.be1volunteer.org